Hydrotherapy involves exercising in a heated pool with the aim of alleviating pressure on joints and soft tissue. This decreases pain and stiffness and enables you to perform a greater range of exercise when compared to land-based treatment. This is due to the therapeutic properties of the water that help ease the effects of gravity.
Benefits of hydrotherapy include:
– Decreased loading on the joints and muscles,
– The hydrostatic effect of the water assists with improving circulation and swelling,
– The warm temperature of the water aids in the relaxation of muscles,
– The wave-like effect of the water causes stimulation of the nervous and circulatory system,
– Increased exercise capacity in the water when compared to land-based exercise,
– Exercise induced analgesia otherwise known as a natural painkiller.
Hydrotherapy has been shown to be effective in the management of common musculoskeletal, metabolic, autoimmune and respiratory complaints such as:
– Joint pain (Knee, back, hips, ankle, foot, neck and shoulder)
– Post-operative (shoulder reconstruction, microdiscectomy, spinal fusion, knee replacement/reconstruction)
– Arthritic pain (Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid)
– Chronic fatigue syndrome, lupus and fibromyalgia.
Our hydrotherapy classes are run at McKeon’s Swim Centre in Unanderra which is approximately 11 minutes from the clinic. We run group and one-on-one sessions and you are given a program that is tailored to you. We recommend an initial appointment with our one of our Exercise Physiologists or Physiotherapists to determine your suitability to hydrotherapy.
To learn more about hydrotherapy and its benefits, please contact the clinic on 4260 8574.
Stop waiting and